Thursday, May 13, 2010

Russia: Mission 1 - Retaking Taranovka

"Dimitri! Get your ass over here before I transfer you back to infantry!"
The Battalion Commander had a very special verbal arsenal at his disposal to get us to run quicker, his threats were meaningless (he was, after all, smiling) but we had to make a show. I dashed over to the green table.
"Today Dimitri, we retake Taranovka." He started, jabbing a finger at the towns position on the map.
"I don't care how you do it," he continued, "just don't run any one of our guys over. I only have two tank platoons, and I know you are experienced, so I know this push will count. We need Taranovka to retake Zeleny Gai, farther north," again, he pointed at it's location on the map.
"Understood sir, I'll do what I can."
"I know you will Dimitri, make me proud my boy!"
(Author inspects the battlefield before "buttoning up")I ran over to my tank, a T-34/76 model, it was a year old already but it hadn't seen much combat, my best friend, and loader, Ivan, constantly (bordering obsessively) repainted the red star on the turret, as well as the 10-10 identification code on the other side. This is what he was doing as I re-approached the tank.
"Time to go Ivan!"
"But Dim-"
"Ivan, we will have plenty of time for you to repaint your star later, let's go."
"Yes sir. Let's do this."
"Attaboy Ivan." I produced a theatrical smile and he punched me in the arm as we climbed into the cramped, two-man turret.

Call me paranoid, but any time we are going into battle I button the tank up. I don't want to think of an airburst artillery shell ripping Ivan and I to shreds. Perhaps this has led to my impressive track record with the Commander?
The driver (I feel bad, I haven't memorized his name yet) Fired up the motor and we were off, our platoon was the last one to move, the First platoon was already tearing the forest to shreds ahead. As we approached the building firefight I saw one of the platoons three tanks take a hit and go down, the men ran out of it burning, I didn't know them but it was a dagger to the heart to see my fellow comrades go down. Another tank returned fire and continued on. I suspected there wouldn't be much left by the time we reached the town. I spotted an anti-tank gun in my sights and ordered a stop. Ivan and I knew there wouldn't be many tanks so He had already loaded a high-explosive round. I fired...and it missed...I saw the men manning the gun start to turn it in my direction.
"IVAN LOAD THE GUN!"
"LOADED"
I fired again compensating for my mistake and right as the loader of the other gun had the round ready to go into the breech my round hit the shield, the gun hopped and spun about 90 degrees.
I breathed a sigh of relief and ordered the tank to continue forward. We rolled slowly down a dirt road in Taranovka, reaching the town without dispute, save a few ignorant Germans who fought alone or in pairs. A valiant group, fighting for the wrong cause. i scoped out another anti-tank gun and Ivan fumbled the round as he went to load it, I suppressed the position with the coaxial and when he finally loaded the gun I took care of the actual cannon. That was the end of the action. Two anti-tank guns is all I got for this? Better than death...
My right eye was ringed in red thanks to the hard cushioning on the gunsight, and my face was covered in grease, I have no idea how it got there. I must have been a sight when the Commander stepped out of the Zis truck he used as personal transport.
"Excellent Dimitri, I knew you could do it!"
"yeah...I-"
"Later Dimitri, celebrate your victories with your crew."
"Okay" I sighed.
Ivan procured a bottle of vodka and, as an honorable Russian, I wasn't about to refuse a drink...
(author's tank amidst one of his two kills, another destroyed gun can be seen in the background.)

No comments:

Post a Comment